Sunday 30 January 2011

Has the world gone mad recently?

On the news for the past few weeks there has been a lot of crazy histeria going on.  This week there is the uprising in Eygpt going on.  The week before that there were the floods in Australia and then there were all the reports about birds falling out of the sky and loads of fish dying on a beach!

My saving grace this week was watching The Secret Shopper with Mary Portas when she went into furniture stores to investigate into their bogus statements.  At the end of the programme she was in one of those shops sat on a sofa with a cup of tea, when one of the sales guys was getting irritated by her and she said, "Where is that sofa that is £10, I would like to see that one,", it made me laugh so much.  She is absolutely right that these retailers treat us like we are idiots.  I have today braved the dreaded supermarkets on a Sunday and low and behold everything was a price cut!  There were dish washer tablets that were £9.00 down to £4.00.  These discounts were all over the store.  Who do they think they are kidding, we all know they were never that price in the first place.  A nice dose of honesty pleace rather than properganda would sit with us nicely.

I have had one of those weeks when most things get on your nerves, hence I am on one today, however, I do feel a lot calmer.  Another thing that has ticked me off this week was that in a magazine I saw some lovely measuring cups from Next.  I truck on into the shop ready to order my lovely cups.  The shop assistant looked at me like I was from another planet when I asked for them.  Looked through the catalogue not in there!  Had no idea what I was talking about, tried to look online but the internet was down!  Now I have seen them I want them!  I need them in my life (a bit like the waffle maker I bought recently that I have used once!).  This is not the first time this has happened when I see things in magazines, after all is that not the point they are in there so you can go and purchase?  May be the only send them out to London stores and a few in The Highlands!  It is annoying to say the least. 

My last point of aggrevation is that living on a busy road has it's draw back sometimes.  Our extension has started and we now have a skip on the drive.  We must have had at least 4 people knock on our door asking for stuff out of it!  Yesterday a young lad knocked on the door asking if he could have some doors that are on the drive.  Now these doors are not ours the builder has left them their.  I informed him of this and said to come back in the week and ask him as they are not ours.  My Husband then looked out of our Son's bedroom window and this guy gesticulated rudely to him, how charming!  I will do another blog shortly about the comings and goings on our road!

Anyway, I hope I have sufficiently downloaded all of my annoyances for this week and that next week will be less irritating.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I watched that Mary Portas programme on sofas too and it was awesome. She is so spot on when it comes to customer service.

    So you live in Swindon? You are right, it isn't that far from Oxford. Do you ever come up this way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    Sad as it may be I am looking forward to tonights episode on Estate Agents. I don't get out much but sometimes I pass through Oxford. I am going to check your blog now and see what is going on this week in deepest darkest Oxfordshire!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete