Thursday 24 May 2012

The Olympic Torch

Yesterday I watched the Olympic Torch go by.  Now the Olympics does not really excite me, but to be part of watching the torch go by was amazing.  The atmosphere was electric. The streets were lined with people waving flags.  The sun was shining down on us.  It was a great day.

I watched the local news last night and was really emotional about the whole thing.  There was something magical about watching the Torch Bearers running through the streets with crowds of people jeering, each with their own unique story as to why they had been nominated.  These are ordinary people have an extra ordinary moment.  A moment they will never forget.  One of my friends was a Torch Bearer.  I can only imagine the elation she must have felt doing it.  I can not wait to see her to find out how she felt.  I am not sure if all the other countries that have held the Olympic have done this, but it really is far reaching and makes you feel involved and part of a once in a life time experience. 

I shall be staying away from London during the games as it sounds like it is going to be chaotic.  I just hope the predictions that there will be 3 hour queue's to get onto the tubes are wrong.  It was exhausting standing out in the heat, but well worth it.  Aparently Didier Drogba was on one of the buses that went by with the parade.  Not knowing who he is, I would not of recognised him if he passed me in the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment